Sunday, September 9, 2012

Life In DC Through My Instagram Eyes

I want to keep a record of things that are happening to me since I moved to DC for graduate school. I've been very busy with school but I'm taking this time now to take a break from studying to update this blog.

Some things I've noticed is that people ask "Where do you stay?" or "Do you stay at ___?" opposed to "Where do you live?" or "Do you live at ___?" When people ask me that I get a little confused.

The weather has been humid every single day since I arrived on August 14th. Just walking 2 blocks I am sweaty. I really dislike the feeling of being sweaty and sticky. I even tried running once outside around the Smithsonian Mall. I went pretty far and I didn't feel the humidity while running, but when I stopped running, that's when the sweat started pouring out. Today is the first day that WASN'T HUMID! I loved it! Too bad I'm cooped up in the library studying.

The Metro is a lot more costly than I thought it would be. I love taking it because I don't have to worry about traffic or finding parking and I like walking. It makes me feel like a native. It's just the cost, and it doesn't go to all of the places I want to go to. I'll get used to it. They have this thing called Capital Bike Share and you rent a bike and bike to places. Really affordable too! But I haven't tried it out yet. I also don't really want to arrive at my destination even sweatier than I would already be if I just walked there.

Enjoy the pictures! I'll try to update more often. No promises though.

  @ up in the air
Went from OAK --> SLC --> MEM --> DCA
@ L'Enfant Plaza Metro Station
First metro station I went through since I arrived
@ Hirshhorn Museum@ Hirshhorn Museum @ Hirshhorn Museum
Went to the Hirshhorn Museum to check out a few things.
@ Matchbox @ Matchbox
Matchbox in Chinatown. Their Chinatown is not very Chinese.
@ Shaw Metro Station // Howard University @ Pennsylvania Ave
First rainfall I experienced in DC. The rain starts pouring out of no where for like 15 minutes and then it stops.
@ Pennsylvania Ave
Interesting placement of bicycle lanes in DC
@ Luke's Lobster
Luke's Lobster Roll
@ California St
A little bit of home
Untitled @ Ben's Chili Bowl @ Ben's Chili Bowl
Ben's Chili Bowl after a night out. Lots of famous people have eaten here.
@ Eighteenth Street Lounge
Loved the layout and interior of Eighteenth Street Lounge
@ Dupont Circle area
Another sleepless city
@ Baked & Wired @ Baked & Wired
Baked & Wired! Very good cupcake. Ordered the Tessita. :)
@ Dean & Deluca
So happy I got to try Dean & Delucca
@ Howard University
Architecture of Howard University
Untitled
Back to the college diet. Trying to make my Shin Ramen more interesting
@ Georgetown Fashion Night Out
Georgetown Fashion Night Out
@ Rosslyn Metro Station Untitled @ Target
This was a CRAZY storm that came out of no where! I don't have a TV so I don't watch the news and didn't know that there was a tornado warning. I left my apartment which is across the street from this Target to get some stuff and take a break from studying. Then when I'm paying and ready to head back, this is what I see! Rain going sideways and the trees going crazy because of the wind! Lucky for me, my roommate picked me up and just walking to her car, I got DRENCHED! The weather out here is so strange.
@ Taqueria Distrito Federal
Foolish me. I tried this Mexican place out hoping it would taste similar to Mexican food back at home. It got good reviews on Yelp. It was not even comparable to west coast Mexican food. I guess I'll have to hold out until I return to the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment